ShoreTel Sky Communicator
ShoreTel is now part of Mitel! Powering Connections ® that are Brilliantly Simple ®.
ShoreTel Sky Communicator is ShoreTel Sky's unified communications tool to help you get business done faster. ShoreTel Sky Communicator is a full unified communications solution. With presence, instant messaging, voice chat, video chat, and screen sharing, you can increase your productivity by streamlining communications in one easy-to-use interface.
Table of Contents
- Managed Profile
- Supported Operating System:
- Windows XP and newer (both 32-bit and 64-bit machines are supported)
- Mac OS X 10.5 and newer
- Contact List: Every ShoreTel Sky Communicator user in your organization, as well as your custom contact groups will be shown inside your contact list. ShoreTel Sky Communicator does not support defaulted or pre-defined generic user groups. However, you can custom create your own. To search contacts use the search bar at the top of the Communicator Contact List.
- Presence: See your colleagues' presence status in the contact list. Know whether someone is available to chat or busy on the phone. ShoreTel Sky Communicator automatically updates your status depending on your actions. You can also manually set your status.
- Instant Messaging: With one click, users are able to send and receive instant messages with other contacts regardless of geographic location.
- Video Chat (peer-to-peer): With ShoreTel Sky Communicator, users can have face-to-face conversations with one another whether they're in the same office or around the world.
- Voice Chat (peer-to-peer): ShoreTel Sky Communicator's built-in voice functionality allows users to voice chat.
- Desktop share: With ShoreTel Sky Communicator you can launch a desktop sharing session during an audio or video chatting session. Share your entire screen for collaboration activities like working on documents. You can also choose which portion of your screen you would like to share.
- File transfer: ShoreTel Sky Communicator lets you send large files to any ShoreTel Sky Communicator user during an initiated chat.
- Group Chat: Chat with multiple users at once and in the same window.
- AutoUpdate: ShoreTel Sky Communicator automatically keeps you up-to-date and up-to-speed with automatic software updates.
To activate the ShoreTel Sky Communicator service, Authorized Contacts (Decision Makers and Phone Managers) can create a Support Case to communicate the necessary information to ShoreTel Sky Support. Please see our Support Cases article for instructions.
To manage (add or remove) users for your ShoreTel Sky Communicator service, Authorized Contacts (Decision Makers and Phone Managers) can create a Support Case to communicate the necessary information to ShoreTel Sky Support. Please see our Support Cases article for instructions.
Note: A user must be enabled (added to the service) before the user can download, install, and use ShoreTel Sky Communicator. Whenever a user is added or removed for this service, an email notification is sent to the user.
To download and install ShoreTel Sky Communicator, do the following:
- Choose the link below that corresponds to your computer's operating system to download the ShoreTel Sky Communicator 1.1 build.297 installation file.
- What happens next depends on the type and version of the browser being used to download the file (Chrome, Firefox, IE, etc.).
- If a pop-up dialog box appears, you can select either the Run or Save option. If instead, the file is automatically downloaded to your computer and/or displayed in the downloads bar at the bottom of your browser window, you can select the Run option if available.
- If you did not (or were not able to) choose the Run option above, navigate to the "Downloads" folder on your computer (where downloaded files are normally saved), double-click the ShoreTel Sky Communicator installation file, and select the Run option..
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- When the installation is complete, log into ShoreTel Sky Communicator using your ShoreTel Sky phone number and enter your phone/voicemail PIN in the Password field.
- Your contact list will automatically load with names of coworkers who are also using ShoreTel Sky Communicator.
Note: If you click one of the links in step 1 above and experience an error (normally indicated as an "RSL Error"), please see our Downloading Files Issues article.
This section provides the following topics:
To log into ShoreTel Sky Communicator, use your ShoreTel Sky phone number and enter your phone/voicemail PIN in the Password field.
ShoreTel Sky Communicator displays a presence icon next to each name in the contact list panel to provide a visual status indicator showing the current work state of each of your colleagues. The following list explains the meaning of each of the presence states:
- Green "Online" - indicates the contact is available for any type of communication
- Green "Free for chat" - indicates the contact is available for instant messaging
- Yellow "Away" - indicates the contact has manually changed their status to show that they are not available
- Red "On the phone" - indicates the contact is on a phone call
- Red "Do not disturb" - indicates the contact has manually changed their status to show that they are busy
- Gray "Offline" - indicates the contact is signed-in to ShoreTel Sky Communicator, but not logged into a ShoreTel Sky phone
Note: If you do not see a colleague's name in your contact list, that person is not logged into ShoreTel Sky Communicator.
Depending on your actions, ShoreTel Sky Communicator will automatically update your status as described below:
- When you are logged into ShoreTel Sky Communicator, your status is automatically updated to show a green icon indicating you are available "Online"
- When you are actively using your ShoreTel Sky business phone, your status is automatically updated to show a red icon indicating you are busy "On the phone"
To change your presence status, click the Online drop-down menu located above the contact list panel (shown in the image below):
- To communicate via instant messaging with a colleague, double click the desired name in the contact list panel.
- In the chat panel that opens, you can send and receive text messages in real time.
- When you are finished texting, just close the chat panel.
- When someone sends you an instant message, a notification dialog appears in the bottom right corner of your computer screen, which you can click to open the chat panel.
A microphone and speakers are required for audio chat and a webcam is required for video chat.
- To start audio chat, click the telephone icon below the desired name in the contact list panel
- To start video chat, click the movie camera icon below the desired name in the contact list panel
Note: If you are experiencing trouble with your webcam, microphone, or speakers, navigate to Tools > Options > Audio or Tools > Options > Video to adjust your settings.
You can also use ShoreTel Sky Communicator to share screens with a coworker.
- To start screen sharing, click the screen share icon below the desired name in the contact list panel.
ShoreTel Sky Communicator supports transferring files between your contacts.
- To start a file transfer, click the send file icon (shown below) at the top of the chat panel while instant messageing
ShoreTel Sky Communicator will prompt you at sign-on if your client needs to updated, or you can manually check for updates.
- From the contact list panel, navigate to Help > Check for Updates
- Choose "ShoreTel Sky Communicator" next to the "Apple" icon, then "Check for Updates"
The following images are screen captures of various panels in ShoreTel Sky Communicator
Contact List Panel (displaying presence icons)
Instant Messaging Panel
Log In Screen (enter your phone/voicemail PIN into Password field)
Options Settings Panel
Q: Can ShoreTel Sky Communicator start when my computer starts?
A: Yes. On PC, Tools > Options > General > Startup > check "Auto-start ShoreTel Sky Communicator when computer restarts or reboots"
Q: Is there a limit to how many users may use this service at one location? Does it require additional bandwidth?
Q: How do I make sure that my Communicator client is up to date?
A: ShoreTel Sky Communicator will prompt you to upgrade when you log in. To manually update, see the Updating ShoreTel Sky Communicator section above.
Q: Can phone managers selectively enable and disable features within ShoreTel Sky Communicator?
A: No. ShoreTel Sky Communicator's features are all built-in and bundled together, administrative can not selectively control which features are enabled.
Q: Does ShoreTel Sky Communicator work on Apple iPad?
A: No. ShoreTel Sky Communicator is not compatible with
Q: What is the meaning of the colored round icons next to each name in my contact list?
A: The colored round icons are a visual presence indicator showing the current status of each contact. See the Presence (Status) section above for more information.
Q: How do I set my status to away?
A: Click the "Online" drop-down menu and select the yellow "Away" icon. See the Presence (Status) section above for more information.
Q: Why do I have two statuses?
A: ShoreTel Sky Communicator logs into an instant message client as well as sip softphone
Q: How do I change my contact list picture?
A: Right click on your existing picture in your contact list, a drop down will appear, choose your desired picture option.
Q: Can I chat with someone outside of my organization using ShoreTel Sky Communicator?
A: This feature is not supported. However, you can add additional account options under File > Add new account
Q: Is my chat history logged?
A: Yes, it is.
Q: Can I assign my contacts nicknames?
A: Yes you can. Simply right click the contact to rename
Q: Where are the call recordings stored?
A: Call recordings are downloaded and saved. When you are done recording a dialog box pops up, that allows the user to save the file in the location of their choosing.
Q: Can I 4-digit dial using ShoreTel Sky Communicator?
Q: Can make outbound calls using ShoreTel Sky Communicator?
A: No you cannot. You can only call other Communicator users in your office
Q: How do I control my ShoreTel Sky Cisco IP Phone using ShoreTel Sky Communicator?
A: Unfortunately, the current version of ShoreTel Sky Communicator does not support call control. Future versions will support call control.
- In rare situations, ShoreTel Sky Communicator may crash unexpectedly when initiating screen share, video or audio chat.
- Unstable internet connections, like wireless, may create functional issues with presence, file transfer, and audio/video chat in ShoreTel Sky Communicator
- After adjusting a user's audio or video settings they may have to restart ShoreTel Sky Communicator
- Unable to see the user interface after an extended period of time
- Experienced delays shutting down on Macbooks
- Accidentally typing into the contact search bar will filter contacts, giving the appearance of incomplete contact lists
- ShoreTel Sky Cisco phone control not working yet
- Softphone feature is not enabled
- ShoreTel Sky Communicator does not support calendar or video presence
- Coordination of presence information for users logged into multiple devices is not supported by ShoreTel Sky Communicator
- Presence information cannot be blocked from view in ShoreTel Sky Communicator
Created Date 2013-05-29 - Modified Date 2017-11-06