Updating ShoreTel 400-Series IP Phones to Communicate with a Connect CLOUD System
If your phone displays the "Cloud credentials" window, you do not need to use this procedure. Simply enter your credentials (the country code plus DID number and voicemail password) to log into the phone.
NOTE: By default, new ShoreTel phones are configured to connect to a ShoreTel Connect CLOUD instance in the US/Canada. If you are located in Europe or Australia, see Provisioning Phones for ShoreTel Connect CLOUD in the UK or Australia for information about connecting your phone to the correct global ShoreTel Connect CLOUD instance.
Phone Firmware Versions Requiring an Update for Use with ShoreTel Connect CLOUD
- 801.x.nnnn.0 – all revisions starting with “801”
- 802.x.nnnn.0 – all revisions starting with “802”
To view the current firmware version:
- Press and release the MUTE button and then dial 4636# (INFO#) on the phone interface.
- Scroll down to Phone information and press the Open soft key.
- Confirm the value for Software version.
- Press the Back soft key.
- Press the Exit soft key to return to the main screen.
If your firmware version matches one of those listed above, you will need to do one of the following:
- Enable DHCP Option 156 for your phone (this is the preferred method).
- Manually update your phone to the CLOUD-compatible phone firmware version.
NOTE: If your phone is updated with the CLOUD-compatible phone firmware version and does not display the "Cloud credentials" window, ensure the network is configured properly. If problems persist please contact your support representative for assistance.
Configuring Phones Using DHCP Option 156
The preferred method for maintaining your phone firmware and configuring phones to point to the correct global ShoreTel Connect CLOUD instance is to enable DHCP Option 156. With this feature enabled, there is no need to manually update phone firmware or manually edit phone settings to direct phones to the correct global ShoreTel Connect CLOUD instance. Enabling this feature enables phones to automatically update from ONSITE-compatible phone firmware to CLOUD-compatible phone firmware.
When using ShoreTel DHCP option tag 156 to configure phones, you may set the option string with the following parameters, depending on the location of the phones:
- US/Canada: configServers="update.sky.shoretel.com", cloudDomain="sky.shoretel.com"
NOTE: US/Canada settings are the default settings, so there is no need to set these parameters for phones located in the US or Canada.
- UK/Europe: configServers="update.sky.shoretel.eu", cloudDomain="sky.shoretel.eu"
- Australia: configServers="update.sky.shoretel.com.au", cloudDomain="sky.shoretel.com.au"
When phones receive the DHCP data with the option tag settings above, the following occurs:
- Phones running firmware versions that are not CLOUD-compatible automatically update and reboot. Once the phones reboot, they will use the DHCP configured cloudDomain to automatically point to the correct global Connect CLOUD instance.
- Phones running firmware versions that are CLOUD-compatible will not update at this time, but they will use the DHCP configured cloudDomain to automatically point to the correct global Connect CLOUD instance.
NOTE: For more information about enabling DHCP Option 156, see How to Setup DHCP Option 156 for Shoretel Phones.
To check the status of DHCP Option 156 on your phone:
- Press the MUTE button and then on the phone key pad press INFO# (4636#).
- Enter the Admin password (1234), and press the OK soft key.
- Scroll to the Internet Protocol menu item, and press the Open soft key.
- Scroll to the DHCP Lease menu item, and press the Details soft key.
- If Option 156 is displayed, the feature is enabled for this phone.
If DHCP Option 156 is not enabled, contact your Network Administrator to have the feature enabled. Alternately, you can update your phone to connect to the correct global ShoreTel Connect CLOUD instance using the manual configuration procedure below.
Configuring Phones Manually
If DHCP is not enabled for your phone, you may need to manually update your phone firmware to a CLOUD-compatible firmware version.
- Do one of the following:
- If your phone has been used previously, press and release the MUTE button and then dial 25327# (CLEAR#) on the phone interface. Select Clear, and allow the phone to proceed through the update sequence.
- If your phone is in a factory state (just out of the box), skip this step.
- Press and release the MUTE button and then dial 73887# (SETUP#) on the phone interface.
- Enter the password (1234) and press the OK soft key.
- Scroll to Services and press the Open soft key.
- Select Config server and press the Edit soft key.
- Toggle the key pad to alpha mode by pressing the 1 -> aA soft key so that it changes to a ->A1.
- In the Config server 1 field, use the key pad to enter one of the following, depending on your location:
- US/Canada: update.sky.shoretel.com
- UK/Europe: update.sky.shoretel.eu
- Australia: update.sky.shoretel.com.au
- Press the Back soft key.
- Press the Back soft key again.
- Press the Apply soft key.
The phone displays its progress as it completes the update process.
NOTE: If deploying phones in regions other than the US or Canada, you will need to configure the phone to connect to the correct global ShoreTel Connect CLOUD instance, after the phone updates and reboots. See Provisioning Phones for ShoreTel Connect CLOUD in the UK or Australia for more information.
- When the "Cloud credentials" window (for an example, see the IP485g image below) is displayed, enter your country code plus DID number and your voicemail password.
- Press the OK soft key.
Created Date 2016-02-22 - Modified Date 2017-06-13